After almost 7 weeks, I finally received a mass email from NYRR about options for the cancelled 2012 marathon. My hope was to get the entry fee refund AND a guaranteed entry next year. But they were not that nice. NYRR’s offer is as below.
All 2012 Marathoners may choose one of the following three options:
- Option #1 – Refund. While NYRR has always had a no-refund policy for the Marathon, given these extraordinary circumstances, we are offering runners who were entered in the 2012 Marathon, and were unable to run due to the cancellation¹, the opportunity to obtain a full refund of their 2012 Marathon entry fee (excluding the $11 processing fee); OR
- Option #2 – Guaranteed entry to the ING New York City Marathon for 2013, 2014, or 2015. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the Marathon for the year they choose. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application (in the given year), with fees maintained at the same rate as those paid in 2012; OR
- Option #3 – Guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013, to be run on March 17, 2013. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application. Availability will be limited.
I don’t need to make a decision yet, as NYRR won’t accept marathon runners’ decision until Jan 13. So, I thought I’d try to get a guaranteed spot by running another half marathon, or they might accept my half marathon PR that is from March this year. Unfortunately, NYRR’s website about 2013 guaranteed spot is down (many of their pages are not available as of this writing). If I could get another guaranteed spot, I’d ask for the refund. So, I will check their 2013 qualifying standard when the website comes back. The decision can be made after that.
I’d be interested in hearing what other marathon runners are thinking.